Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I traded a highly modified 99 SS with 20k miles and 454 cubic inch LSX motor and all the supporting mods for a 03 Cobra ported, upper/lower pullies with all the supporting mods 36k miles.

The idea was to get something more driveable and not have to F-with all of the time. The SS was down most of the summer and the high dollar rear, clutch etc never seemed to work out right except for WOT runs (which were amazing!)

The Cobra is a nice car and its amazing that it puts down 500+ RWHP and drives like stock in a parking lot....

That said its not what I thought it would be, I always heard mustangs were more comfy and ergonomically correct etc than the F-body. I'd have to disagree or maybe I'm just too used to the chevy's.

Anyways I have 08 jeep patriot and sat in a 07 black GT with elanor style 20's and a elanor style front end, the shifter and ergonomics felt WAY better than the cobra. and the back seat looked bigger than the cobra. The 07 is HUGE but I'm thinking of getting rid of the jeep and the cobra for the GT and using that as a DD and the kid mobile. Save on insurance and would not have a car payment.

I've haven't had a car with less than 420 to the wheels in quite a while but at 35 and no time to go to the strip I'm not sure if its really necessary anymore.

Anyone go from a Cobra to a S197 GT? Thoughts? anyone with kids (3 year old and maybe a baby on the way) How does it work out??

Thanks,

Bobby

·
Registered
878 Posts
While I didn't go from a Terminator to an S197, I did go from an SN95 (94-98) to a New Edge (99-04) Mustang to my current S197 DD. (05 Saleen.)

I can honestly say that Ford has never made a better riding or more comfortable Mustang.

This thing is like a Cadillac by comparison.

You can make some solid power, too, but nowhere near the level you can reach with a stock Terminator.

Right now, I'm running a Saleen blower and a 3.2 pulley on a stock long block. While I haven't had a chance to dyno the car, there's no reason it shouldn't make more than 450 to the tires. (I'll report back after I get it dynoed later this week.)

If you can give up the additional power until you can mod the new one to make power you can live with, I think it'd be a good move.

Frankly, the Terminators are a great drivetrain stuffed into an archaic chassis. The New Edge Mustang wasn't a significant improvement when they were new in 1999, so the same car with a stout motor in 2004 was really no different.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a Term 03 with 455 @ the wheels. It was a blast to drive sure, but I'm 6'4 295, and lets say I wish I had a bit more room. The car was stolen :( and of course I got a shell back ! (Literally) SO it was time to replace.

Enter my 08 GT. Man ! The first thing I noticed is that it had Waaaaay more room. I have driven this car for a bit and its quite comfy. It handles as well as my cobra did. Actually better. Does it make the same power ? No..not yet. But it does have a kick to it, and my Supershaker will be here soon ::dancing:

Do I miss my cobra ? Yeah..I miss the power for sure. Am I glad I have the 08 ? Hell yes. Much much better ride and heh it actually gets more compliments than I did with my cobra.

Distinct style and comfort is what makes your stang. You can add power any time.

Edit: Lol Its been so long since I have posted..My Cobra is still in my sig ! Time to redo

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have an '05 making about 500rwhp. If all you want is hp and track numbers the Cobra can get there for less money. but I liked the 2005 body style, room and comfort. I have less in my car than the GT500 and can beat a stock one hands down at the strip, same with the terminator although both have a very superior upside.
Anybody can (and someone will) make their Stang faster than yours. So get what you like and have fun. We all want to win at the strip, dyno, or whatever. But life is short and everyone needs to be honest with what they really want and enjoy that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to go take it for a test drive tomorrow. Its not really a Cobra vs new GT thing. I've always had two cars but am thinking that does it really make sense. If I can pick the kid up from Daycare easily and have room for groceries etc do I really need two cars these days. I just don't have alot of time to work on the "toy", haven't been to the track in years. My SS really drained me from the hobbie aspect. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wouldnt do it as you give up a ton for ride comfort of the 05+
How is that so?

For OP,

I have owned almost every Mustang available and I currently own 5 Mustangs. Two of which are a modded 07 GT and a bone stock 04 Cobra with less than 9K miles. Never in my life would I trade my modded 07 for my 04 Cobra. On the other hand if my 07 was stock I would do it in a heart beat. In Termi wheel hop is a major issue and Im going to jump out on a limb but Im going to have to guess if you modify it the issue would only get worse. The ride, power, handling, comfort, eye appeal and adrinaline rush is much greater in my 07 than my Cobra. With that said I love both but my S197 takes the win!!!!!!!! This is just my opinion on my experiences with my Mustangs.

·
Registered
878 Posts
How is that so?
I think he meant, "By trading the Cobra you're giving up a ton of performance benefit in exchange for the improved ride quality of the 05+."

Personally, I don't think it's really all that great a difference. Most of the 03/04's I've seen blow up usually do so around 500-550 HP.

It's amazing how fast a bad tune kills anything. ;)

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Ok if you are seeing cobra's, 03 04 cobra's BLOWING UP at 500rwhp to 550rwhp, then the tuner sucks, or the guy can't drive, and is doing TOP END RUNs back to back to back.

The new style mustang, yea its more comfortable to sit it.

Also, saying that a mustang is not as comfortable as a fbody, I disagree. I test drove a 2001 camaro ss before I even bought my 03 cobra, I was shopping around. I took the ss around the block and parked it, gave the guy the keys and got out. But hey, we all have different opinions on whats comfortable!! I wasn't anti chevy. I drove a 03 cobra and fell in love with the handling.

My 03 cobra makes 600rwhp with 18lbs of boost, pump gas, stock motor, stock heads, stock cams, stock headers, stock rear, with 16 degree's of timing.

The motor comes forged from the factory. Look at all the 600-700 even A THOUSAND rwhp cobra's roam the streets on stock motors.

do a search on buster, a stock 03 cobra motor, turbo, makes over 1,000rwhp and is abused at the track. Go do that with a STOCK GT.

There are cobra's. with 100,000 miles, yes you saw that number, I didnt add extra zero's, 100,000 miles with whipples, STOCK MOTORS RUNNING 10.40'S. Good luck doing that with a gt!

03 04 cobra > mustang gt. flame away.

BTW, name another car that you can invest 900 dollars in mods and go mid to low 11's :dunno2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

BTW, name another car that you can invest 900 dollars in mods and go mid to low 11's :dunno2:
I appreciate your response and 5 years ago when I was driving a H\C Z06 and had no kids I would have understood your standpoint.

I'm 6 ft 225lbs and the stang is pretty cramped hitting 3rd is a pain and changing the radio or heat you have to reach over pretty good. The F-body for my frame seemed to fit better. The interior IS nicer in alot of ways than an F-body.

I'm thinking of more of a DD that is still alot of fun, a GTO, G8 GXP, CTS-V, 01-03 M3 are all cars that I'm thinking of as well. Even a GT500 is technically a possibility although for that price I could keep the Cobra and buy an 04 GTO as a DD or a 06 Z06 and a 90 honda accord...

My purpose of this thread was not dispute a Cobra's power, it was to ask guys who have had both and use them more as "cars" is an 07 GT really that much a step up as a DD and car seats in the back..

Could be the wrong forum for that :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I currently own an 03 cobi 470 rwhp ..and an 07 gt that i recenly put a vortech on 491rwhp ....but even before the blower ...car for car 05-09 better build ...more comfy/room handles nice stock ....i love both for different reasons but in all honesty i was considering trading in my 03 cobra for an 09 -10 gt for my girl ..but she loves driving the cobra so i dont know yet .but anyway back to the thread ...yeah as daily car thats fun 05-09 FTW .....i could never go back ....my cobi rarely see's me anymore ...ps 05-09 with bolt ons is still fun and respectable

·
Registered
348 Posts
Both are nice, and having a favorite is subjective.

If your declared goal is a dailiy driven car, the S197 is superior to the Cobra.

Moreover, you can easily build a well mannered 11 second S197 that will make you forget all about the Cobra.

If an 11 second daily driver that is roomier, more rigid, and more comfortable is unappealing, I'd suggest that maybe you are being a bit unrealistic for a daily driver.

Best bet would be to find a clean used GT with a blower on it.

No wrong answers here. Your opinion is the only one that counts.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I appreciate your response and 5 years ago when I was driving a H\C Z06 and had no kids I would have understood your standpoint.

I'm 6 ft 225lbs and the stang is pretty cramped hitting 3rd is a pain and changing the radio or heat you have to reach over pretty good. The F-body for my frame seemed to fit better. The interior IS nicer in alot of ways than an F-body.

I'm thinking of more of a DD that is still alot of fun, a GTO, G8 GXP, CTS-V, 01-03 M3 are all cars that I'm thinking of as well. Even a GT500 is technically a possibility although for that price I could keep the Cobra and buy an 04 GTO as a DD or a 06 Z06 and a 90 honda accord...

My purpose of this thread was not dispute a Cobra's power, it was to ask guys who have had both and use them more as "cars" is an 07 GT really that much a step up as a DD and car seats in the back..

Could be the wrong forum for that :)
I hear ya, if you want a daily driven car, with some power, add a blower, then yea get the new mustang. Its much roomier.

I used to be 240lbs, back in 06 when I was really into bodybuilding and never had a problem with comfort. Im 5'9.

Good luck man, whatever will make you happy in the end!!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Both are nice, and having a favorite is subjective.

If your declared goal is a dailiy driven car, the S197 is superior to the Cobra.

Moreover, you can easily build a well mannered 11 second S197 that will make you forget all about the Cobra.

If an 11 second daily driver that is roomier, more rigid, and more comfortable is unappealing, I'd suggest that maybe you are being a bit unrealistic for a daily driver.

Best bet would be to find a clean used GT with a blower on it.

No wrong answers here. Your opinion is the only one that counts.
true true. But since I own a 03, I would never sell it for a gt. Thats how I feel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went from an 03 cobra with 475rwhp to an 07 GT (With just about all the options) and it is a much more comfortable car... Just not as fast, personally I like it more. I can wait to build it and get just as much power out of it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ok if you are seeing cobra's, 03 04 cobra's BLOWING UP at 500rwhp to 550rwhp, then the tuner sucks, or the guy can't drive, and is doing TOP END RUNs back to back to back.

The new style mustang, yea its more comfortable to sit it.

Also, saying that a mustang is not as comfortable as a fbody, I disagree. I test drove a 2001 camaro ss before I even bought my 03 cobra, I was shopping around. I took the ss around the block and parked it, gave the guy the keys and got out. But hey, we all have different opinions on whats comfortable!! I wasn't anti chevy. I drove a 03 cobra and fell in love with the handling.

My 03 cobra makes 600rwhp with 18lbs of boost, pump gas, stock motor, stock heads, stock cams, stock headers, stock rear, with 16 degree's of timing.

The motor comes forged from the factory. Look at all the 600-700 even A THOUSAND rwhp cobra's roam the streets on stock motors.

do a search on buster, a stock 03 cobra motor, turbo, makes over 1,000rwhp and is abused at the track. Go do that with a STOCK GT.

There are cobra's. with 100,000 miles, yes you saw that number, I didnt add extra zero's, 100,000 miles with whipples, STOCK MOTORS RUNNING 10.40'S. Good luck doing that with a gt!

Okay. Purchase a used 05-06 Mustang with 20k-40k for around 14-15k. Install a Saleen blower with a 3.0-3.2 pulley. JDM tuning, and you now have a 10 second GT for around 20k! I don't think you can beat that......

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I had 03 Cobra's....and now I have owned this 07 GT for over a year now. That will tellya something if you know me......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts