Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering why there isn't any Y-Pipes (a mid-pipe that is shaped like a Y) offered in the market for Mustangs or the '03-'04 cobras. Is it because of fitments or sound or something? Sometimes I think it sounds nice on F-bodies, so I always wondered what a Cobra would sounds like with a y pipe.. just curios.

i would greatly appreciate it if someone could possibly post a vid if they know any?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Having an H-pipe and true dual exhaust is one of the main reasons a Mustang sounds like a Mustang for the last ohhh, 30+ years. I think F-bodies sound terrible compared to Mustangs. F-bodies have a nice low V8 rumble, but the actual sound is really not good at all compared to a Mustang IMO. So no- y pipes aren't sold for Mustangs. Buy a universial Y-pipe fitting and get busy welding if you think it'd sound good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Y-pipe sound on a 4.6 sounds like ass. I have one with my turbo kit and it sounds like I am driving a F-150 until my turbo drowns out the exhaust. Its a problem from 2250-2750 RPMs when accelerating at part throttle.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, anyone have a vid?

I certainly don't want to be the guinea pig.

I think F-bodies sound okay and lots of times not okay. depends on the mood i'm in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
come on no one got any vid? this thread started to become a failure.

Indysvt, post a vid please. i want to see it?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have never really thought about that before ... it is interesting tho, not my taste but interesting none the less.

My thinking as to why the older mustangs sounded so different was more the type of engine than the exhaust set up. A push rod motor will give you more of the muscle sound at lower RPMs than a OHC engines will.

I had often wondered what a good muscle car would sound like with two fart cans installed ... again just out of curiosity lol

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never really thought about that before ... it is interesting tho, not my taste but interesting none the less.

My thinking as to why the older mustangs sounded so different was more the type of engine than the exhaust set up. A push rod motor will give you more of the muscle sound at lower RPMs than a OHC engines will.

I had often wondered what a good muscle car would sound like with two fart cans installed ... again just out of curiosity lol
get a 2 cheap ones and go ahead and get those fart cans installed, then get a vid of it:imao:
i think it would sound throaty. :good::imao:

I'm very happy with the way my X pipe sounds like, but just wondering.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,207 Posts
I have a Y pipe on my car with the turbo setup, along with a magnaflow catback, and at low RPM and a good bit of throttle it sounds like complete asshole. I hate it...

·
Registered
79 Posts
never thought i would see the day that someone would be interested to put a y-pipe on a car that has ample room for a dual exhaust - now i know i'm getting old - lol

seriously - why? if you search around a bit on different exhaust manufacturer websites you can find tables of horsepower versus size exhaust for single and dual exhaust. as one can expect a single needs to be of larger diameter than a dual setup for the same horsepower. unless you have to, for example some turbo setups, why would you give up the efficiency of a true dual setup with an x-pipe. not worried as much about exhaust scavanging and back pressure on a boosted motor, sure, but why?

oh, yes different motors sound different - a small block ford sounds different than an FE than a 385 series motor which of course all sound different than a rat or mouse motor. if you want to hear what a v8 should sound like then you want true dual exhaust, on a single setup the interference from the exhaust pulses from typically unequal length down-pipes into the common destroys the exhaust note, reduces thermal efficiency, and sounds like ass.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
never thought i would see the day that someone would be interested to put a y-pipe on a car that has ample room for a dual exhaust - now i know i'm getting old - lol

seriously - why? if you search around a bit on different exhaust manufacturer websites you can find tables of horsepower versus size exhaust for single and dual exhaust. as one can expect a single needs to be of larger diameter than a dual setup for the same horsepower. unless you have to, for example some turbo setups, why would you give up the efficiency of a true dual setup with an x-pipe. not worried as much about exhaust scavanging and back pressure on a boosted motor, sure, but why?

oh, yes different motors sound different - a small block ford sounds different than an FE than a 385 series motor which of course all sound different than a rat or mouse motor. if you want to hear what a v8 should sound like then you want true dual exhaust, on a single setup the interference from the exhaust pulses from typically unequal length down-pipes into the common destroys the exhaust note, reduces thermal efficiency, and sounds like ass.
You embarrassed me :imao: . Now I feel I'm the dumbest one in this forum thanks to you.

you got a point there bubblehead. that's a very good reason why there isn't any y pipe available in the market for mustangs.

I had a Y pipe in my V6 and loved it with the longtubes and it didn't sound bad or ricey or embarrassing.. just mean.

·
Moving on up...
4,776 Posts
Not to be a dick, but y-pipe = SUCK.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,207 Posts
I'm with everyone else here; unless you are turbo, there's absolutely no reason to have a Y-pipe on a car that is made to run true duals.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think F-bodies sounds like ass myself. The H-pipe (or X-pipe) makes the car sound better. AMD Hunter above confirmed the 'Y-pipes sound like ass' theory.

There might be scenarios where you want a single exhaust, but for most people it doesn't make sense.

The car also looks better from the rear with dual exhaust. Hey it isn't ALL about power for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No, you're not being a dick.. that's your opinion.

What we need is a mix of H and X and it would be perfect.
you mean like the Mac prochamber? that's what i run along with a SLP LM2 catback

·
Registered
192 Posts
heres a pic of the midpipe.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
you mean like the Mac prochamber? that's what i run along with a SLP LM2 catback
Agreed!

On my Cobra I've had a bassani "X" pipe/chamber thing, a magnaflow OR X pipe, JBA mid headers and a 3" H pipe, and now JBA mids to a 3" Prochamber. All of those midpipes through a magnaflow catback. The prochamber sounds best BY FAR! The bassani sounded exotic at all times, the magnaflow sounded slightly more mellow until boost woke it up. The H pipe sounded more mellow even than the Magnaflow X at idle but like some POS truck with straight pipes radiator clamped onto a cutoff stock exhaust at only the slightest boost!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Screw Y pipes, lets get a donut pipe going

1 - 20 of 24 Posts