Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share this with you guys. My neighbor wants to be a car designer when he gets older, he just turned 14. He has some decent talent for never really taking any classes. He wanted to go to the Autoshow in Detroit and visit some design school/college, but we live in the New Orleans area and he couldn't get there (financial, etc).

Anyway, I think it turned out pretty nice.
Last, does anyone know someone that does this for a career and share some advice for this young guy?

Feedback?

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
That is good for a 14 yr. old. I had that same dream and turned down a full scolarship to go into the Marines. I won my first award when I was 8 yrs old. If he wants this to happen he needs to start sending detailed scanned pics (not fuzzy or out of focus and only his best sketches) to the colleges he wants to attend.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
tell him to come up with a better exterior design for the MUSTANG!!! the 2010+ are terrible looking!

·
Registered
878 Posts
14 years old and no formal artistic education?

Damn man... If I had 10 years of art school, I couldn't do that. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not bad at all. Nice use of shadow and light. But it needs a drop. :bigwink:
He drew it like he saw it. I suppose you mean my car needs a drop. The Saleen SC dropped the front some. Need to figure what springs to use so I don't hit the CDC chin spoler- possibly the Vogtland GT500 springs (GT leveling springs) or something just for the rear.

·
Registered
625 Posts
looks pretty good for his abilities. definately something he may want to pursue for sure.

BTW if he drew it like he sees it, maybe you want to get some new rims, they look a little out of sorts. j/k

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is absolutely fantastic. Any idea how long it took him? If the kid is looking for money take him to a car show. I know I'd probably pay $20-$30 for a nice little 8 1/2" x 11" to frame and hang on the wall. Kid's got talent.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That is absolutely fantastic. Any idea how long it took him? If the kid is looking for money take him to a car show. I know I'd probably pay $20-$30 for a nice little 8 1/2" x 11" to frame and hang on the wall. Kid's got talent.
I am sure it took him many hours - multiple days maybe (though I never asked).

Check out the Ferrari and the Superformance AC Cobra (I buddy of mine owns it). We didn't know it but he took a picture of the AC Cobra while we were installing my Saleen sc one day.

Here is more of what he has done (most was when he was 13)
http://www.local-motors.com/vprofile.php?page=1&ipp=All&u=1082#scrollPortfolio

I found that he has interest in doing more for some money. See this othe website:
http://www.mbwdesignz.deviantart.com/

I printed a copy of the picture from the website (he never showd me the original) and plan on hanging it in my office.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
Not bad at all for being only 14.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great comments and encouragement. He is definitely a hard worker and continues to try and improve each time he draws.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the one in detroit is college for creative studies they are the best in the country i know a guy that went there and he has worked for all of the big three and he designed that international pickup truck... i know times are tough now tho with the auto industry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts