Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a compression test and the results=no bueno..The good ones read at 185 and the bad(in no specific order) were 92,112,130ect..My tune was good, so i guess the motor just didnt like 17lbs?..

So with that being said, ive already been quoted 7500 for a fully built shortblock,parts and labor which should be able to handle what ever i throw at it.. Now i would do it, but dont got 7gs right now. So im thinking if my block and crank are ok should i just rebuild it with better rods and pistons? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
889 Posts
If Block And Crank Ok, Then Heck Yah. P.s. Blocks Are Cheap If You Need One. Just Have A Good Shop Assemble The Short Block. Use Good Rods And Pistons. Another P.s. Put Cams In, Great Time To Do So. Again, Most Important, Good Parts And Good Shop To Assemble Them.

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
The stock block, with good rods and pistons can be a VERY formidable unit. You should have no hesitations about rebuilding it.
There are MANY threads about the best pistons and rods (think the consensus on rods is the stock Manley's). As for pistons, do some searching.
On a VERY carefully setup STOCK shortblock, 1000rwhp has been hit (I believe). I think they went through a few before they got the stock guts to handle it, and got the tune perfect, but it has been done-

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the responses guys, either im gunna rebuild the shortblock, or a buddy of mine said he has a built longblock with a teksid block,cams and forged internals that he would do 4k installed what do you think?

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Find out who built the long block, and if you trust the brands of internals and the shop which assembled it, go for it. Sounds like a great deal-

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You still have the remanufactured OEM longblock as an option which is still going for about $3700 from Tousley Ford. If funds are a concern, this is formidable option.

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
Step 1- Throw iron block in trash
Step 2- Get the details on your friends S/B
Step 3- Install and enjoy new found power and weight savings

If you need a S/B built look into Modular Performance, Boss 330, Livernois, just to name a few good ones...

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Step 1- Throw iron block in trash
Step 2- Get the details on your friends S/B
Step 3- Install and enjoy new found power and weight savings

If you need a S/B built look into Modular Performance, Boss 330, Livernois, just to name a few good ones...
lol at step one

what do you think of fords new big bore 5 liter with a stroke? 5.3L cast iron?

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
To the O/P, if you look at the ford reference chart for this situation I think you'll find that your motor may still be within spec.
I'll post the Ford chart up when I get home today, I suppose this only applies if you're interested in just running the motor the way it is.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You can do what I'm doing. I found a Teksid already machined .20 over for $600. Bought a set of JE pistons for around $900. Took my stock rods and crank to the machine shop to get balanced. Also had them recheck the block I bought and resize the rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts. That work cost $380. The only difference between the stock rods and rods from manely is the rod bolts and the weight tolerance to each other is closer than the stock rods. But that doesn't matter because everything got rebalanced.

I also bought a set of LM stage 3 heads,comp stage 2 cams, ARP studs for top and bottom and Cometic gaskets. I haven't added up all the parts yet but even with the heads it's going to be under $7500. Except for the engine build I'm doing all the labor.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Lots of good advice on the build. However, I'd still be concerned about what caused the failure. Just 17psig on a good tune and working cooling system shouldn't grenade a shortblock. Are you sure the tune was good? Any repetitive high speed runs or cooling system issues? Bad injector(s)?

Just some things to think about...

You can get a fully built shortblock for way less than $7500. Is that including labor for R&R of the engine? If so, you could save ~$3-4K by having only the shortblock built and installing it yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts